Chandratal Lake Trek in Himachal near Rohtang Pass India
Chandratal Trek is the most famous and popular lake in the Lahaul and Spiti Range, the turquoise blue lake is a hidden gem also situated in the Chandrabhaga Range. It’s a terrific attraction for all the tourist trekkers and adventurers.
It is 14 km away from Batal. The routes are extremely treacherous, but worth it as you will get to witness the vistas of nature. Chandratal is a tourist destination for trekkers and campers. The lake is accessible on foot from Batal as well as from the Kunzum Pass from May to late October.
Camping near the lake should be in everyone’s bucket list. Accommodation is available 5 kilometers (3.1 mi) from the lake. Witness the vast meadows on the banks of the lake. During springtime, these meadows are carpeted with hundreds of varieties of wildflowers. Chandratal Lake is On the Samudra Tapu plateau, which overlooks Chandra River (a source river of the Chenab).
The name of the lake originates from its crescent shape. It is an altitude of about 4,300 metres (14,100ft) In the Himalayas. One can witness the some of the major peaks of Chandrabhaga Range like Chandrabhaga 14(CB14) or Chandrabhaga 13(CB13).
Chandratal Trek a Sacred Moon Lake in Spiti valley in Himachal
Chandratal Lake trek is a beautiful trek in Spiti valley of Himachal Pradesh at an elevation of 4,300 m. It is also called “Moon Lake” because of its crescent shape and is the origin of Chander River. In ancient times this trail was used as trade route; traders from Tibet and Ladakh came to Spiti and Kullu valley.
Chandratal lake can be easily approached from Kunzum Pass which is Located at an average of 4,590 meters, Kunzum pass is one of the most famous high altitude passes of Himachal Pradesh. It is a hub for many trekkers and adventurers. From Kunzum pass, you will witness the gorgeous Chandrabhaga Range and Bara Shigri Glacier which is considered as the second largest.
Glacier after Gangotri in the Himalayas. The pass connects Lahaul valley and Spiti Valley to the Kully Valley. Kunzum Pass is the starting point of the Chandratal Lake the visitors come here to seek the blessings of Goddess Durga and visit Chandratal Lake, which is around 9 km from Kunzum Pass. The route is extremely beautiful that people come here to halt and indulge in photography and to view the magnificent Bara- Sigri Glacier, the second-largest glacier in the world.
Key Points of Chandratal Trek
Level: – Easy or Moderate
Before heading towards the itinerary, it is really essential to perceive the reason behind choosing Chandra Tal Trek.
Proper conditioning & training of body required
Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature?
Shoes are the single most important equipment.
High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup.
The backpack should not exceed 10 kgs.
Best Time to Visit Chandratal lake Trek?
Chandratal Trek is a very beautiful and Easy trek in the Himachal spiti valley , The Chandratal Trek is great for those people who have a great passion for hiking and road trip in near Spiti valley kibber vaillge kaza and consider it a special purpose in their life. Chandratal Trek is such a trek where you get to see more than one Spiti mountain range. Chandratal Trek is very important for those people who have holidays only on weekends 4 nights to 5 Days from Manali to Manali.
You can visit here Chandratal Trek 2nd week of June to Last week of October , For those who like summer and monsoon treks, they can go summer and monsoon treks are a very good time for those who want to see snow. and live snow fall,
Chandratal Trek is also a good trek for Monsoon trek at that time there are flowers and green greenery which makes the trek very memorable.
During the day the temperature of Chandratal Trek is around ( 08°C to 15 °C and during the night the temperature comes down to 05 °C to 8 °C which is not bad.
Will there be electricity in Chandratal trek
Let me tell you that there is no electricity in the forest area of Chandratal trek. Here we use Stobe Light and or Solar Light, candal light at the nights
If you come on this trek, then you should bring your own head light and your camera with full charge, if possible, it would be good to bring extra battery backup, and also bring the phone after full charge, today people most of the phone use the same
Note :- Day 3 and 4 Electricity available at Kibber village or Kaza during the trek
Do spare time in Interaction with locals, and you will get to know about some of the ancient tales of Indian mythology. And our Spiti or Himachali Cultures
Must Read about Chandratal Trek
Duration: 05 Days from Manali to Manali
Best Season: June, July August and September
Level: Easy or Moderate
Highest Point: 4300 meters
Weather: Nights are cold and day temperature is pleasant during the season.
Temperature: (5°C to 15°C)
Starting Point: Manali mall Road
Short Itinerary of Chandratal Trek
Day 1 – Pickup to you from manali mall road Drive from Manali to Batal via Rohtang pass (109 km) (4/5 Hours) (3907 m) (5/6 hours) over night stay camp
Day 2 – Drive from Batal (3907 m) to Chandratal (4551 m) and night stay in Kunzum La Pass/Chika (3200 m)
Day 3 – Kunzum La Pass to Kibber village (69 km) (3/4 hours) (over night stay hotel
Day 4- Rest day explore some time kaza monastery back to overnight stay kaza hotel
Day 5 – Drive from Kaza to Manali (209 km) (8/9 hours) reach manali late evening 6 to 7 pm
Is it safe ?
Set amidst the popular destinations, Chandratal trek is indeed very safe. All our professional strive their best to provide trekkers with the best experience possible.
Chandartal trek is very easy trek. Despite the fact that the top is relatively low in elevation, we recommend regulated physical fitness. All groups will be guided by our pros for trekking equipment and any impending terrain during the course. This is best beginner
The weather conditions depend on the time of the year trekkers are travelling. Months from March to June experience moderately good temperatures during the day with substantially colder nights.
Monsoons remain cascaded under heavy rainfall while winters offer snow-covered tracks.
During the day the temperature of Chandratal lake trek is around temperature is 8°C to 12 °C and during the night the temperature comes down to 5 °C to 8 °C which is not bad.
What to pack for Chandratal lake trek and Spiti valley
Warm clothes, sleeves, wind shelter, comfortable clothing, and extra warm clothes so that you can enjoy trekking. A raincoat is the necessary
Footwear: A well-fitted trekking footwear shoes are highly recommended. If you wear an uncomfortable pair of shoes, your feet will be hurt.
Things to carry
1) Because nights at elevations tend to be considerably colder, we suggest having well-graded, warm and comfortable clothing along with good quality shoes.
2) Despite the fact that we handle medical crises, we urge individuals to keep their emergency kits at hand in any case of personal underlying illnesses.
3) Since the journey provides you with a picturesque view, don’t forget to bring your camera along with extra batteries.
4) All the trekking gears will be provided by our teams, hence we recommend carrying only the important luggage with essentials.
Connectivity and Transactions
1) Because connectivity along the route is unpredictable, we urge people to do all of their work ahead of time.
2) Trekkers will be provided with walkie- talkies beforehand in case of emergency.
3) The last ATM transactions available will be at Manali , but we recommend that travellers collect cash beforehand or while in Manali as the ATM available at other places might not dispense cash at times.
Your Travel Plan for Chandratal Trek
You can book trains, air flights, and bus tickets for your journey only according to the information given by us.
The Chandratal trek will be of 5 Days from Manali to Manali, includes travel.
First of all, all the trekkers will have to book their flight and train bus according to our time table as our pick up is from 9:00 am to 10:00 am, you will have to reach Manali Bus Stand, Mall Road in the morning.
A taxi from Himalayan Hikers will link you to the Manali bus stand, near mall road.
Himalayan Hikers organize transport to the Spiti valley for Chandratal trek from the Manali bus stand. Our vehicles leave 7at :00 am to 8:00 am sharp from Manali. Sharing taxi costs include your package.
In the Manali bus stand, you will get our taxi staff that will arrange transport for you. The contacts no Transport coordinator or our office team will give you a week ago to your departure.
Please you guys book your transport facility according to your own time table, after Himalayan hikers take all the responsibility of Manali to Manali, that you will not face any problem.
Your trek ends at Manali day 05th evening 5:30 pm. Manali is a beautiful city in Himachal here available public transport for all over State in India. Booked your return bus tickets directly Manali bus stands.
How to Reach Chandratal Lake Trek?
If you are traveling from Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Mumbai or Gujarat any other city, so you will have to come to Delhi, you will get a flight from Delhi for Bhuntar comfortably.
Option 01:- By Air
Himalayan hikers tell you that whenever you travel, you should reach your destination within 2 hours. Bhuntar, Kullu airport is the nearest airport in Manali.
Located about 32 km for the Manali city. There are flights available to Bhuntar airport, you can go online and book your tickets. These are easy and easy ways for you and you also save your time, Bhuntar to Manali taxi available in airport 24×7.
If you find the flight to Bhuntar airport expensive, then you come by flight to Delhi or travel by bus from Delhi to Manali, and it will be easy for you. And many Volvo bus available.
Option 02:- By Bus
You can reach Manali from Delhi by a bus, board it from (Delhi) Kashmiri Gate, ISBT; or chandigarh Bus stand, it is good if you are booked the seats. It is a 10-11 hour bus journey from Delhi to Manali bus stand, near mall road.
(Reach Manali bus stand between 5:00 am to 6:00 am and the vehicle will be arranged from there.)
What is the distance to reach Manali for Chandratal trek from other state
- from Mumbai to Manali Distance is – 1931 Kms by Road
- from Delhi to Manali Distance is – 553 kms by Raod
- from Jaipur to Manali by road is 800 kms
- from Chandigarh to Manali by road is 307 kms
- from Shimla to Manali by road is 248 kms
- from Dehradun to manali by Raod is 474 kms
- from Ludhiana to Manali by road Is 358 Kms
- from Bangalore to manali by road is 2693 kms
- from Kolkata to Manali by road is 2037 kms
What we do during an emergency breakout in the Chandratal trek
First of all, the safety of trekkers is much more for us, if you see in the trek, then there are all the risks, which I do not think about.
Himalayan Hikers worry more about you that no one should ever have any problem in the trek.
What should we and you keep more safety in the trek
- Whenever you are going for any trek, it is very important that you go completely fit and ready.
- The trek is not difficult, if you make your feet and your mind calm and strong, you will find the trek very easy.
- While trekking, keep in mind that you are walking on the right route or not always with your guide.
- Most people look somewhere and where they are walking, this can cause twitching in your legs, which can ruin your entire trek.
- It is important to ask your doctor if you have any medical problems
- I should always keep my medical kit with me, it is very important.
- Himalayan Hikers always keep a medical kit with you, such as oxygen cylinders, medicine to be given in emergency on the trek
- If any trekkers have any more problems, then they are brought back to the base camp by laying them in the stretcher.
- Our camp in Chandratal trek is around the 9000 feet to 13000 feet where you can not have any problem of oxygen
- In case of any medical problem, the help of your guide or a well-informed trekkers should be taken
- If there is major health problems in Chandratal trek, then Nearest Hospital is in Manali which is about 140 Kms away from Chandratal trek
- Along with the trek we keep getting acclimatization