Sandakphu Trek the highest peak in West Bengal
The Sandakphu mountain, also known as Sandakpur, is a peak situated near the boundary of India with Nepal on the Singalila Ridge. In the Indian state of West Bengal, this is the highest ridge with an average elevation of 3636m above sea level. The trip is famous for offering stunning views of four of the highest peaks in the world, among them Everest, Lhotse, Kangchenjunga and Makalu. It manages also to pay for an uncontaminated view of the whole range of Kangchenjungas, recognised from certain perspectives for their likeness to the ‘sleeping Buddha.’ It’s pure delight to see the sunrise over these ranges from Tumling.
- Prospect over the nurturing trails of Sanglila National Park
- Villages of Samanden and Gorkhey seems painted across the natures canvas, such is the beauty of these villages
- Come across varied terrains focusing on the delight they provide.
- High altitude ridgeis situated at a towering height of 3636m
- Get a panoramic view of many snow covered peaks like Kanchenjunga, Kumbhkarna, Shimbho peaks and many more
- Border crossing experience with two distinct lands yet extremely similar cultures
- highly welcoming people of Nepal would make trekkers yearn for more
Some of the trek highlights
The route to the peak of Sandakphu follows the Singalila Ridge and passes along the border between India and Nepal. Although the Everest peaks are only seen from Sandakphu, from the beginning, the Kangchenjunga fury is with the walkers. The trek starts off from Kopidana, a lesser used, beautiful basecamp village and ends at Sepi.
This long walk, which can be completed in a few days and includes several campsites, provides a stunning view of the endless horizon, as well as one-of-a-kind sunsets and sunrises. When the rhododendrons and magnolias are in full bloom, the forests are known for their riotous summer colours.
The Sandakphu journey passes through Singalila National Park, which is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna. This moderately difficult climb offers a variety of experiences while exploring the richness and beauty of long-range scenic panoramas. It is suitable for both novice and expert hikers. The trail becomes greener and more picturesque as it progresses.
Things to look out for-
- The trek is certain to provide unrivalled feelings of accomplishment.
- Sunrise from Tumling is one of the best in the entire series of Himalayan sunrises.
- There are countless photogenic peaks, so we recommend that you prepare yourself for any aesthetic shoots. The best pictures are those taken under a blue sky with snow-covered peaks in the background.
- Trail among the old yet dynamic villages of Nepal with great exposure to their living culture.
- Majestic sight of the Sleeping Buddha under the glistening rays of dawn
Views during the journey
- Mesmerizing on and off views of Kanchenjunga ranges as we trek to Tumling is a fascinating sight in itself.
- On a clear day, get a glittering sight of peaks such as, Lhotse, Everest, Nuptse, Baruntse, Chamling, Chomolonzo, Machapucchare, extending to the Annapurna family.
- Trekkers can trace the Goecha La cleft somewhere among the frontline peaks asanother of Sikkim’s renowned treks.
- On this path, trekkers will pass by a black water lake nestled near a town, surrounded by prayer flags flapping in the breeze, and a little waterfall on one side with Buddhist templeand calm serenity that lays upfront.
- Discover the magnificent Sri River, also known as Sri Khola in the local dialect
Nearby places to visit
- Manebhanjan is a small town located near Darjeeling. Trekkers here can find houses and camps set especially for trekkers.
- Chitrey is a place adorned with luscious greenery, pines, firs and exquisite monasteries.
- The enthralling town of Tonglu can serve as a magical milestone in trekker’s journey. With a mesmerizing sight of Tonglu lake present on top of hill can help trekkers find a new experience among the same route of Sandakphu.
- Bikeybhajan famous for its rugged terrain and daunting ascents just before the town of Sandakphu is a pristine explore for trekkers seeking a rush of victorious ad reline.
The altitude covered in Sandakphu Trek
Best Time to Visit Sandakphu Trek
Both the ascent and the descent of Sandakphu are moderate in level as the trekkers hike forward. The best time to hike these paths is during the months of October to April. Temperatures typically range from 8 to 15 degrees Celsius during the day, with substantially colder nights.
Key Points of Sandakphu Trek
Level is Moderate
Proper conditioning & training of body required
Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature?
Shoes are the single most important equipment.
High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup.
The backpack should not exceed 10 kgs.
Must Read about Sandakphu Trek
Duration – 5 nights 6 Days
Best Season – June to September
Level – Moderate
Highest point – 11929 feet
Weather – Nights are cold and day temperature is pleasant during the season.
Summer temperature –(5°C to 15°C)
Starting point – NJP
Short Itinerary of Sandakphu Trek
Day 1 – Drive from NJP to Kopidana (6400 feet) (84 km) (5 hours)
Day 2 – Kopidana to Tumling (9700 feet) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 3 – Tumling to Kalapokhri (10400 feet) (14 km) (6/7 hours)
Day 4 – Kalapokhri to Sandakphu (11929 feet) (6 km) (3/4 hours)
Day 5 – Sandakphu to Sepi (6230 feet) (15 km) (6/7 hours)
Day 6 – Sepi to NJP (140 km) (5 hours)
Is it safe?
Set amidst the lower altitudes, concerns regarding Sandakphu Trek safety among beginner trekkers are indeed very valid questions. To brush off all the concerns we would like to confirm that the teams of Himalayan Hikers have calculated all the possible probabilities if anything goes off the schedule.
All of our professionals strive to provide the best experience possible for trekkers, so a collaborative contribution of a relaxed mindset and morally communicative behavior with fellow trekkers will be greatly appreciated.
Even though the ridges relatively average in elevation, we still recommend a reasonable level of physical fitness. We advise trekkers to physically prepare themselves prior to this trek. The trek does not involve high ascents or steep descents but trekkers will have to cover long distances every day.
Any medical assistance that is required will be provided at any point of the journey; however, trekkers must consult their professional care before beginning any trek. We also strongly advise trekkers to learn about altitude sickness and to notify our teams as soon as any symptoms appear.
Weather conditions depend on the time of the year trekkers are travelling. Easier trails and less confusing journey make this trek a perfect autumn to winter and spring trek. The weather during these times is quite favorable for trekking elevation and safer trails.
Things to carry
1) Because nights at elevations tend to be considerably colder, we suggest having well-graded, warm and comfortable clothing along with good quality shoes.
2) Despite the fact that we handle medical crises, we urge individuals to keep their emergency kits at hand in any case of personal underlying illnesses.
3) Since the journey provides you with a picturesque view of many peaks, don’t forget to bring your camera along with extra batteries.
4) Our staff will consult with fellow trekkers about their luggage and, if lacking, will assist trekkers in obtaining any necessary equipment. Only the relevant luggage should be brought, as a result.
Other trekking Essentials-
Connectivity and Transactions
1) Because connectivity along the route is unpredictable, we urge people to do all of their work ahead of time.
2) Trekkers will be provided with walkie- talkies beforehand in case of emergency
3) Last ATM transactions available will be at some stops after New Jalpaigaur Junction/Airport but we recommend travellers to collect cash beforehand or while in New Jalpaigaur Junction/Bahdogra Airport as ATM available at other places might not dispense cash at times.
How to Reach Sandakphu Trek
If you are travelling from any metropolitan city in India or from outside India, getting to the New Jalpaigaur Junction/Bahdogra Airport shall be the first priority.
New Jalpaigauri junction/Bahdogra Airport is connected to most major cities in India. Trekkers could perhaps conduct extensive research for their direct mode of transportation to ensure a much smoother arrival.
.Some important points to note-
- Please note that we don’t provide timings schedules for transportation before New Jalpaigaur Junction/Bahdogra Airport. Subjected to various conditions the scheduled timings and availability of particular rides may differ. We recommend trekkers to reach out our teams for any queries. You can drop an email or call us for an initial guided session.
- Our teams will be collecting trekkers at fixed points of airports, railway stations and bus stands.
- It is recommended that unless any delay arrives, trekkers are advised to reach the destinations at least 2 hours prior.
Things Himalayan Hikers recommend
As previously stated, a camera, as well as spare batteries and memory cards, are recommended. We can assure and guarantee that you will be stopping frequently along the trail to observe the grandeur of the trekking experience.
We strongly recommend trekkers to prepare beforehand for the journey ahead. Regular practicing physical fitness and mental endurance will surely assist trekkers in great time.
After the trek, we strongly encourage trekkers to tag us on social media when they post any memories from the trip; this will not only prove invaluable to us with our work, but will also serve as a motivational example for all of our experts.
Why you should choose us
We’re here to give you the greatest experience possible through the eyes of highly skilled and qualified specialists who have a passion for adventure sports. We are community members attempting to promote our favorite adventure sports while also supporting local businesses. We, at Himalayan hikers, dedicate ourselves to providing you with an unforgettable experience.
There are no reviews yet.