Gaumukh Trek : A Journey to the source of River The Holy River Ganga in Uttarakhand, Himalaya,
Gaumukh Trek – The Holy River Ganges is the most sacred river in the Hindu religion and its source at Gaumukh at the Gangotri glacier.
The glacier follows Westerly route located below Chaukhamba Mountain, the highest peak of the Group.
This is the only Ganga valley from where one can see Bhagirathi peak – I, II, III, Shivling Peak and Matri Peak, Raktvan. , all together. One can also see the Tapovan and Nill Tal (4400 mt) peaks from here.
The trek takes one to Gaumukh or moumukhi maa Ganga Bhojbasa after TM Program and breakfast.
You enter the national park, walk on side of Bhagirathi River in a breathtaking scenery, a magnificent view on Shiv Ling Mountain, meeting pilgrim’s including Sanyasis and Sadhus. There is possibility to rest and take hot drinks and water in various places in comfortable small tent shops.
All along the way there will possibility to continue the trek on mule back. On arrival, TM program, enjoy incredible scenery and sight of Shiv Ling Mountain.
Tapovan (Sanskrit) comes from the two root words tapas – meaning pain or suffering, and by The trekking usually starts from Gaumukh and the trek was considered moderate to difficult prior to the destruction of much of the trail from Gangotri
Gangotri – The shrine of Gangotri is situated at an elevation of 3200 m surrounded by Deodars (Cider) and Chir (pine).
The original temple was constructed by the Gorkha General Amar Singh Thapa after his conquest of the Garhwal area! Every year people from all around the world visit this shrine.
A number of Ashrams and Dharamshalas are located on the far side of the river.
It is believed that Raja Bhagirath used to worship Shiva on a slab of rock “Bhagirath Shila” situated near the temple. Submerged in the river there is a natural Shivling where, according to mythology, Lord Shiva sat when he received the Goddess Ganga in his matted locks.
A days trek takes one to Gaumukh, the source of the mighty Ganges.
The Gaumukh, the source of the River Ganga and Raktvan river, and amer Ganga, itself is reason enough to do this trek. Gaumukh is a sight on its own.
Only when you get close to it do you realize how big and magnificent the glacier is! I am not surprised this is the most often repeated trek by trekkers.
Every time you visit, there is something new to take back. For this trek
Sun setting on the greater beautiful Mountain range in Gaumukh Trek
Tapovan camp. Which is located on the confluence of the Ganga Valley River at Gangotri right The Holy River Ganges is the most sacred river in the Hindu religion and its source at Gaumukh at the Gangotri glacier.
The glacier follows a N. Westerly route located below Chaukhamba Mountain, the highest peak of the group so looking four nice view for Himalayas and .
Evening time which is a good time after sneaks lookout sun setting on the greater beautiful Mountain range. Shivling at Tapovan
Beautiful Campsite of Gaumukh Trek
The Chirbasa or Bhojbasa trek campsite is great for birding and surrounded by beautiful snow peaks.
The camps of Chirbasa and Bhojbasa are very beautiful, the trek route here is very nice and beautiful, here you will see the view very different, both these camps are near the Ganges River, where you can clearly hear the sound of the river’s flowing water at night.
Best Time to Do Gaumukh Trek ?
Gaumukh trek is a very beautiful trek in the District Uttarkashi Uttarakhand Himalayas, The Tapovan Gaumukh trek is great for those people who have a great passion for mountaineering and consider it a special purpose in their life. Gaumukh trek is such a trek where you get to see more than one Himalayan mountain range.
We are the local people in uttarakhand District of Uttarkashi who are doing this trek for years, we have every experience related to this trek.
The right time to do Gaumukh trek is from April 1st week to the last of June and then from the last of August to the last month of October.
specially in the months of April, may, and June, snow is found in abundance here, which makes your trek very memorable and also a little difficult after Gaumukh Glacier. So this trek should not be considered too easy
Remember, you will need a permit to go to Gaumukh, so it is considered a crime to go here without a permit, so take the permit with you, you get the permit from the Uttarkashi Forest Office.
Gaumukh trek in April to June ?
Gaumukh trek Month in April and june gives a slightly different experience to Trekkers because in April you start getting snow bhojbasa Camp, near by Gaumukh Glacier
By the way, Char Dham Yatra also starts here from April last weekend itself, Mother Ganga has a special significance here, Gaumukh is the special place from where Mother Ganga originates.
The Gaumukh trek starts from Gangotri in Uttarakhand which comes in Gangotri National Park Range
In April, May and June, you get a combination of both greenery and snow, which makes the trek very spectacular. The weather in April, May and June is quite good and trek friendly, which makes trekking a lot of fun.
During the day the temperature of Gaumukh trek is around ( 5°C to 12 °C and during the night the temperature comes down to 5 °C to -3 °C which is not bad.
Views and treks in Gaumukh trek provide a lot of peace to the mind during the day, while you wake up from one wake to another, Gaumukh Glacier trek can always be one of the most close treks in your heart.
You will never consider yourself boring in Gaumukh trek this trek can give you nothing but joy, You will get to see the Garhwal culture in this trek which will always keep you connected towards the mountain. Himalayas
Gaumukh trek in September or October
Gaumukh trek is a little different in the months of September and October, this is because you will find snow only Gaumukh Glacier
But the beauty of the trek will not be lacking, the trek and nature adorn themselves with time and in different colors. Month of September and October are very good days to trek, at this time total greenery and at the end of October sometimes you can get to see live snow fall.
During the day the temperature of Gaumukh trek is around Day time 5°C to 15 °C and during the night the temperature comes down to 7 °C to – 2 °C which is very conformable,
How Difficult is Gaumukh trek
Gaumukh trek is Moderate trek , this trek comes in a moderate level, people who are trekking for the first time, we have done the entire trek, they used to need help somewhere, which we and our team used to help.
Anyway, here you will find peace and relaxation, along with the wind waves of Mother Ganga, you are going on a trek, at night, during the day you will continue to feel the waves of the Ganges.
Gaumukh Glacier Gradual uphill trek but if your fitness is good and you have it in your mind that I want to trek then you can do it absolutely. Where help is needed, our guides will support you, you just have to be strong and capable of the trek. One thing is that all you can do is to have courage and I myself am passionate.
Gaumukh trek safe for me ?
Yes Gaumukh trek is a safe trek if you are going with a good trekking team which you must know before booking yourself, It is important for you to know that the bow trekking organization with which we are going is right or not,
And if possible, trek with local trekking organization, you can do the same help all the time. then your trek can be very good and memorable
The minimum age required to trek Gaumukh trek is 10 years and maximum 65 years. The rest depends on your fitness .
We are Per Day Climb Altitude for Gaumukh Trek
Note: – Level: The trek experience and moderate Gaumukh & Tapovan, Nandanvan Trek is classified Trek .We are going about. In altitude per day.
Gangotri -10,145 feet
Chirbasa camp – 11,761 feet
Bhojbasa camp – 12,450 feet
Gaumukh – 13,200 feet
Key Points of Gaumukh Trek
Duration: – 06 Days 5 Nights from Dehradun to Dehradun
Best Season: – April, May, June, September, October,
Level: – The trek experience, Moderate,
Trail of type: – Trek Start. Dehradun is the beautiful city near rail head and base camp .Gangotri base camp
Highest Points: – 13,215 feet
Trekking distance – 36 km.)
Gaumukh Trek Route Location: –Dehradun, Gangotri, Chirbasa, Bhojbasa, Gaumukh Glacier
It is located in the northeastern part of Uttarakhand starting from close to the Chaina border, heading east and then south
Started point: – Pick up to you Dehradun, .Railway Station and (I.S.B.T)
- You got to see so many heavenly bodies at one place like the panoramic view of the Himalayan ranges, you can see pine forests, different variety of flora and fauna surpassing through bona fide Garhwali culture.
- I think Do spare time in Interaction with our local’s team, and you will get to know about some of the ancient tales of Indian mythology and our local cultures, this is good ideas for trekkers
How to reach dehradun for Gaumukh trek
- The easiest way to reach Dehradun is by flight, Direct flights are always available for Dehradun from Bangalore, Chennai , Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, Pune, Kolkata, Gujrat, more
- You can also easily reach Dehradun by train Via Delhi . Trains are available from all states India.
Train name is
- Nanda Devi Express -12205 ( New Delhi to Dehradun ) · Classes: 1A,2A,3A ·
- Trains from Dehradun DDN to Howrah Jn HWH DDN SPL 02327)
- Doon Express -13010
- Mussoorie Express -14041 ( Delhi S Rohilla to Dehradun )
- Dehradun Shatabdi Express, 12017
- Himalayan Hikers will arrange transport for you to go from Dehradun to Gangotri dham
- Mode of Transport is Tempo travelers and Bolero taxi, Swift taxi, more
- Gangotri is our main base Camp of Gaumukh trek and Tapovan trek, Kedartal trek, Vasukital trek, Kalindi pass trek, nandanvan trek, more than 7 expedition
- You can reach Dehradun from Delhi by a bus, board it from (Delhi) ISBT, Kashmiri Gate it is good if you are booking the seats.
(Reach ISBT between 5:30 am to 7:00 am and the vehicle will be arranged from there.)
How to Reach Gaumukh Trek
- For Gaumukh trek, you have to come to Dehradun before arriving home by flight or train.
- Dehradun is the capital of the state of Uttarakhand, which is a beautiful city. The easiest way to reach Dehradun is by flights and then by train which will take you directly to Dehradun.
- Dehradun is our head office where you will be a member of our team who will keep taxi ready for you
- From Dehradun you have to come by taxi to Gangotri Dham, And from Dehradun it will take you about 10 to 11 hours to reach Gangotri base Camp
- From Dehradun, you will get to see some small markets via Mussoorie, Suwakholi, and on the way. You will stop for breakfast in Rautuki Valley after that continue your onward journey, Uttarkashi is a Beautiful market where you will stop for lunch of the day
- For evening snacks 5:30 Pm. you will reach Gangotri Camp where Team Himalayan Hikers will be ready to welcome you.