Bhrigu Lake is a high-altitude lake located in the Kullu district of the Indian state of Himachal Manali -2023
The Bhrigu Lake trek is a popular trekking route located in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, specifically in the Kullu Valley. The trek takes you to the pristine Bhrigu Lake, which is nestled at an altitude of approximately 4,300 meters (14,100 feet) above sea level.
The Bhrigu Lake trek is named after Maharishi Bhrigu, an ancient sage in Hindu mythology who is believed to have meditated near the lake. The trek is known for its scenic beauty, offering breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains, lush meadows, and alpine forests.
Here are some key details about the Bhrigu Lake trek:
Trek Duration: The trek typically takes around -4 days to complete, depending on the itinerary and the pace of the trekking group.
Trek Difficulty: The Bhrigu Lake trek is considered a moderate-level trek. It does require a decent level of physical fitness and stamina, as the trail involves steep ascents and descents.
Best Time to Trek: The best time to undertake the Bhrigu Lake trek is during the summer months, from May to June, and then again from September to October. During these months, the weather is generally pleasant and the trail is accessible.
Starting Point: The trek usually begins from the village of Gulaba, which is about 22 kilometers (13.7 miles) from Manali, a popular hill station in Himachal Pradesh.
Highlights: The trek offers stunning panoramic views of the Himalayan mountain ranges, including peaks like Hanuman Tibba, Seven Sisters, and Deo Tibba. The highlight of the trek is reaching Bhrigu Lake itself, with its crystal-clear blue waters reflecting the surrounding peaks.
Permits: It is advisable to obtain necessary permits and permissions from the local authorities before embarking on the Bhrigu Lake trek. You may need to acquire a permit from the Forest Department or other relevant authorities.
It’s important to note that trekking can be physically demanding and requires proper preparation. It is recommended to go with an experienced trekking group or hire a knowledgeable guide who can ensure your safety and help you navigate the trail effectively.
Bhrigu Lake Trek – Bhrigu Lake is a mythological lake, hence trekkers find it very intriguing. It siafterall named after the famous saint Maharishi Bhrigu. It was believed that Bhrigu sat in deep meditation. The lake lots to offer because it has the prettiest grasslands.
To enter an alpine meadow in our country, one has to often spend at least a day or two trekking within the tree line. We are talking of two or three days of hard ascent. This is because most alpine meadows start at around 11, 000 feet, above the tree line.
However, on bhrigu lake trek , you are in the meadows within the first 10 minutes of this trek! Imagine having meadows such as these right here in your backyard. No wonder we go gaga over landscapes are seen in places like Switzerland.
In month of June, you get a combination of both greenery and snow, which makes the trek very spectacular. The weather in June is quite good and trek friendly, which makes trekking a lot of fun.
During the day the temperature of bhrigu leke is around ( 5°C to 13 °C and during the night the temperature comes down to 5°C to -2 °C which is not bad.
During the Bhrigu Lake trek, you will come across several breathtaking viewpoints that offer stunning vistas of the surrounding Himalayan landscape. Here are some notable viewpoints along the trek:
- Gulaba: Gulaba serves as the starting point of the Bhrigu Lake trek. From here, you can enjoy panoramic views of the valley and the snow-capped peaks in the distance.
- Rola Kholi: Rola Kholi is a picturesque campsite located at an altitude of around 3,800 meters (12,500 feet). From here, you can witness spectacular views of the Solang Valley, with its verdant meadows and snow-covered peaks.
- Bhrigu Lake: The highlight of the trek is reaching Bhrigu Lake itself. As you approach the lake, you’ll be greeted with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountain ranges, including peaks like Hanuman Tibba, Seven Sisters, and Deo Tibba. The pristine blue waters of the lake reflect the towering peaks, creating a mesmerizing sight.
- Summit Points: On the way to Bhrigu Lake, there are several points along the trail that offer panoramic views of the Himalayas. These vantage points provide opportunities to admire the rugged beauty of the region, with its towering mountains, deep valleys, and snow-clad peaks.
Landscapes like Switzerland in Bhrigu Lake Trek
Bhrigu Lake has meadows which is far and wide. It resembles similarly to Switzerland.
You will spot flowers and in the months of July to September.
Get to witness the mountain ranges like Pir Panjal and Dhauladhar and in the month of July to September, the meadows are lushest green jaw Dropping views.
The landscapes keep on changing from time to time. You will a good idea of what Himalayan treks offer – meadows, glacial lake, mountain views. Even though it is a short trek, it climbs to the daunting altitude of 14,000 ft.
So you experience the thrill of a climb as well. With its easy access from Manali, it is a great trek to do for beginners or families looking to explore the wilderness
Brief Details Bhrigu Lake?
See firstly, the trekking distance is a total of by taxi 46 Km and on foot 24 km which is to be covered in 4 days.
Manali to Gulaba to Jhonker Thatch (also known as Gulaba Bugyal), Rola Khuli – Bhrigu Lake, Gulaba, Manali
Before heading towards the itinerary, it is really essential to perceive the reason behind choosing the Bhrigu lake trek.
Bhrigu lake trek is a low-altitude mountain trek Altitudes is 4300 Meters
The Starting trail is easy to moderate as compared to other treks this is Moderate trek.
So, this trek is best for families and beginners, school
Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperatures?
You got to see so many heavenly bodies at one place like the panoramic view of the Himalayan ranges, like Pir Panjal range and Dhauladhar, you can see pine forests, different variety of flora and fauna surpassing
I think Do spare time in Interaction with our local’s team, and you will get to know about some of the ancient tales of Indian mythology and our local cultures, this is good ideas for trekkers
Beautiful landscapes so carry proper photo gear & Extra battery backup.
The backpack should not exceed 12 kg only
The best time to visit the Bhrigu Lake trek is during the summer months of May to June and then again from September to October. Here’s why:
- May to June: This period is considered the ideal time for the Bhrigu Lake trek. The weather is generally pleasant with moderate temperatures during the day, ranging from 10 to 20 degrees Celsius (50 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit). The snow at higher altitudes starts melting, making the trail more accessible. The landscape comes alive with vibrant flowers and lush green meadows, offering a picturesque setting for the trek. It is important to note that as the summer progresses, the weather can become more unpredictable, and occasional rain showers may occur.
- September to October: The post-monsoon season is another excellent time to undertake the Bhrigu Lake trek. The weather is generally clear, and the skies are often sunny, providing excellent visibility of the surrounding mountains. The temperatures are cooler, ranging from 5 to 15 degrees Celsius (41 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit), making the trek comfortable. During this time, the foliage turns golden as autumn sets in, adding to the beauty of the landscape.
It’s worth mentioning that the Bhrigu Lake trek is not recommended during the monsoon season, which lasts from July to August. The region receives heavy rainfall, which can lead to landslides, slippery trails, and limited visibility, making the trek risky and challenging.
As weather patterns can vary, it’s always a good idea to check the local weather forecast and consult with experienced trekking organizers or local authorities for the most up-to-date information before planning your visit to the Bhrigu Lake trek.
Key Points of Bhrigu Lake Trek
Duration: – 3 Nights 4 Days from Manali to Manali
Base camp: – Gulaba Meadows camp
Monsoon Temperature: – Day 5°C to 12°C) Night -2° C to 5° C
Bhrigu Lake – Altitude: – 4300 Meters -14,100 feet
Best Time: – May, June, Sep, Oct
Trek Level: – Moderate
Trek distance: – On foot 24 Km
Group Size: – a minimum of 10 people maximum of 25 people
How difficult is the bhrigu lake trek?
The Bhrigu Lake trek is considered a moderate-level trek in terms of difficulty. It requires a decent level of physical fitness and stamina. Here are some factors that contribute to the trek’s difficulty level:
- Altitude: Bhrigu Lake is located at an altitude of approximately 4,300 meters (14,100 feet) above sea level. Trekking at higher altitudes can pose challenges due to reduced oxygen levels. It is important to acclimatize properly and ascend gradually to minimize the risk of altitude-related issues.
- Terrain: The trek involves a variety of terrains, including steep ascents, descents, rocky sections, and uneven trails. Some parts of the trail can be slippery, especially during monsoon or after rainfall. It is essential to have good balance and stability while navigating these terrains.
- Trek Duration: The Bhrigu Lake trek usually takes around 3-4 days to complete, covering an approximate distance of 26 kilometers (16 miles). Each day involves several hours of trekking, and the duration can vary depending on the pace of the group. Trekking for multiple days consecutively requires physical endurance.
- Weather Conditions: The weather in the Himalayas can be unpredictable, and conditions can change rapidly. Rainfall, snowfall, and cold temperatures are possible during the trek. It is important to be prepared for varying weather conditions and have appropriate clothing and gear.
While the Bhrigu Lake trek is considered moderate, it is still important to be adequately prepared. Prior fitness training, including cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and endurance-building, will help you cope with the demands of the trek. It is also advisable to start the trek with a gradual pace, take regular breaks, stay hydrated, and listen to your body to avoid overexertion.
The altitude we are going to cover per day in Bhrigu Lake Trek
Day 1 Manali to Gulaba and trek to Gulaba Meadows camp
Altitude: 10,300 feet
Day 2: Gulaba to Rola Kholi
Altitude: 12,500 – 10,300 feet
Day 3: Rola Kholi to Bhrigu Lake back to Rola Kholi
Altitude: Bhrigu Lake at 14,000 feet
Day 4: Rola Kholi to Gulaba drive to Manali
Short Itinerary of Bhrigu Lake Trek
Day 1- Pickup to you from Manali Mall Road, Near Manali Bus stand at 11:00 am Drive from Manali to Gulaba Road head (22 km) (01 Hour’ Drive same Day trek Jonker Bugyal – 03 km (1/2 Hours) (10,370 feet)
Day- 2- Trek from Jonker Bugyal to Rola Khuli (05 km) (4/5 Hours) (12,569 feet)
Day 3– Trek from Rola Khuli to Bhrigu Lake (14,100 feet) and back to Rola Khuli (10 km) (6/7 Hours)
Day 4- Trek from Rola Khuli to Gulaba (05 km) (3/4 Hours) same day drive to Manali Reach evening 4:30 pm) (4/5 Hours) (3800 Meters) Overnight stay hotel,
Your Travel Plan for Bhrigu Lake Trek?
You can book trains, air flights, and bus tickets for your journey only according to the information given by us.
The bhrigu lake trek will be of 03 nights and 4 days from Manali to Manali, including travel.
First of all, all the trekkers will have to book their flight and train bus according to our time table as our pick up is from 9:00 am to 10:00 am, you will have to reach Manali Bus Stand, Mall Road in the morning.
A taxi from Himalayan hikers will link you to the Manali bus stand, near mall road.
Himalayan Hikers organize transport to the Gulaba Road head from the Manali bus stand. Our vehicles leave at 8:00 am sharp from Manali. Sharing taxi costs include your package.
In the Manali bus stand, you will get our taxi staff that will arrange transport for you. The contacts no Transport coordinator or our office team will give you a week ago to your departure.
Please you guys book your transport facility according to your own time table, after Himalayan hikers take all the responsibility of Manali to Manali, that you will not face any problem.
Your bhrigu lake trek ends at Manali day 04th evening 5:30 pm. Manali is a beautiful city in Himachal here available public transport for all over State in India. Booked your return bus tickets directly Manali bus stands.
How will you reach Bhrigu Lake Trek?
To reach the starting point of the Bhrigu Lake trek, which is usually Gulaba village, you would typically have to travel to Manali first. Manali is a well-known hill station in Himachal Pradesh and serves as a base for many treks in the region. Here’s how you can reach Manali:
By Air: The nearest airport to Manali is Bhuntar Airport, located approximately 50 kilometers (31 miles) away. Several domestic airlines operate regular flights to Bhuntar Airport from major cities like Delhi and Chandigarh. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Manali.
By Road: Manali is well-connected by road to various cities in North India. You can either drive to Manali or take a bus. Regular bus services operate from cities like Delhi, Chandigarh, and Shimla to Manali. The journey time can vary depending on the distance and traffic conditions.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Manali is Joginder Nagar Railway Station, located about 166 kilometers (103 miles) away. However, this is a narrow-gauge railway station, and the connectivity may be limited. The most convenient option is to take a train to Chandigarh Railway Station, which is well-connected to major cities across India. From Chandigarh, you can then travel to Manali by road via bus or taxi.
Once you reach Manali, you can proceed to Gulaba village, which is about 22 kilometers (13.7 miles) away. Local buses and taxis are available from Manali to Gulaba. The trek to Bhrigu Lake begins from Gulaba, and you can start your journey from there.
It is recommended to plan your transportation in advance and check for the latest schedules and availability, especially during peak tourist seasons.
ATM Point and Mobile Connectivity in Bhrigu Lake
Before starting the journey to Bhrigu Lake Trek, make sure that you need payments, and then take out the cash on the way to Manali mall road.
The phone does not work on this trek. Therefore, you should ensure that you do not have to make any important calls. . So make sure you finish all your important work and calls before starting the trek.
“Himalayan Hikers” and their offerings for the Bhrigu Lake trek. However, when choosing a trekking organization for any trek, including the Bhrigu Lake trek, it is important to consider several factors to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Here are some general aspects to consider when selecting a trekking organization:
- Experience and Expertise: Look for a trekking organization that has a good reputation and ample experience in organizing treks in the Himalayan region. Consider their track record, customer reviews, and testimonials.
- Safety Measures: Safety should be a top priority. Check if the organization follows safety protocols, provides experienced guides, and has a good record of handling emergencies. Inquire about the availability of medical assistance and equipment during the trek.
- Trekking Itinerary and Services: Evaluate the trekking itinerary provided by the organization. Consider factors such as the duration of the trek, acclimatization days, camping arrangements, and meals provided during the trek. Ensure that the services offered align with your preferences and requirements.
- Guides and Support Staff: Knowledgeable and experienced trek guides play a crucial role in enhancing your trekking experience. Inquire about the qualifications and expertise of the guides and the support staff accompanying the trek.
- Group Size: Consider the group size that the organization maintains during treks. Smaller group sizes often offer a more personalized experience and allow for better interaction with the trekking staff.
- Cost and Inclusions: Compare the cost of the trek with the services provided by the organization. Check for inclusions such as transportation, permits, meals, accommodation, and equipment. Ensure that there are no hidden costs and that the pricing is transparent.
- Responsible Tourism: Look for an organization that promotes responsible and sustainable tourism practices. Consider their approach towards environmental conservation, waste management, and support to local communities.
It is advisable to research and contact multiple trekking organizations, including “Himalayan Hikers,” to gather detailed information about their services, itineraries, safety measures, and reputation. This will help you make an informed decision based on your specific preferences and requirements. Additionally, reading reviews and seeking recommendations from fellow trekkers can provide valuable insights.
Preparing your fitness level for the Bhrigu Lake trek is essential to ensure an enjoyable and comfortable experience. Here are some tips to help you get fit for the trek:
- Cardiovascular Exercise: Engage in activities that improve your cardiovascular endurance, such as jogging, cycling, swimming, or brisk walking. These exercises will help strengthen your heart and lungs, enabling you to cope better with the physical demands of the trek.
- Strength Training: Focus on building strength in your lower body, particularly your legs and core muscles. Exercises like squats, lunges, step-ups, and planks will help strengthen your muscles and improve stability during the trek.
- Trek-Specific Training: Mimic the movements and conditions you may encounter during the trek. Incorporate uphill and downhill walks or hikes into your training regimen to simulate the terrain of the trek. Use a backpack with some weight to get accustomed to carrying a load on your back.
- Endurance Training: Gradually increase the duration and intensity of your workouts to build endurance. Start with shorter sessions and gradually extend the duration to simulate the hours of trekking you’ll experience each day.
- Stair Climbing: Climbing stairs is an excellent exercise to prepare for the uphill sections of the trek. Include stair-climbing sessions in your training routine to strengthen your leg muscles and improve your cardiovascular fitness.
- Flexibility and Stretching: Perform regular stretching exercises to improve flexibility and prevent muscle soreness. Focus on stretching your leg muscles, back, and shoulders, as these areas are often involved in trekking.
- Hydration and Nutrition: Stay hydrated throughout your training period and during the trek itself. Drink plenty of water and include a balanced diet rich in carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats to provide the necessary energy for your workouts and trek.
- Practice Hiking with Gear: As you get closer to your trek date, go on practice hikes with the gear you plan to carry during the Bhrigu Lake trek. This will help you assess the weight, adjust the backpack, and get comfortable with the load on your back.