Kedarkantha Trek in Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand, India- 2021
Kedarkantha is considered one of the most winter hiking location and trek in Uttarakhand, India Altitude is 12500 feet, It is best trek to fulfill your satisfaction about trekking. Kedarkantha trek is quite special because it has stunning views and it provides the best views of the entire mountains cape. Today Kedarkantha is the topmost trek of Uttarakhand Himalayas. Kedarkantha is an incredible place to stay there and enjoy the sunrise and sunset. The Trek is a classic winter trek provides a great opportunity for trekkers to explore something new about the nature, and experience the life of remote villages of Garhwal Himalayas.
Kedarkantha Mountains Range are Highly Photogenic.
Kedarkantha Trek lies in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. It starts from a traditional village of Sour – Sankri which is in the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary national park. Sour village is quite beautiful with snow covered mountains and the sparkling tons river flowing through it. If you visit it once, then no doubt you will definitely visit here again. The charm is the most beautiful thing about this place. the Sankri is a delightful place set apart by the mountains and chilly climate & Weather. Houses made of wood look very beautiful and adorable. In sour village there are various conventions, fairs , and rituals. the people of the village wear traditional costumes and cook traditional food. Folk dances( Naati, raas, and taandi) of the area are a part for amusement and entertainment.
This trek can be seen in the beauty of the Himalayas. The altitude of the Kedarkantha trek is 3800 meters. one unique thing is about Kedarkantha trek ,is that Kedarkantha is a triangle-shaped mountain. Which makes this trek more exploring. A huge fair is organized every year on 15 June in Kedarkantha . Here Shiva and Ganesha are worshiped, which is spoken in the local language Meru Bagwan!
Kedarkantha is a place of faith for us, where we worship Lord Shiva and Ganesha every year.
Every year a fair is organized in Kedarkantha, and people from every village come here to see a fair, this fair is held on 15th June.
These are a special moment when people celebrate this festival together with local music and drums.
The view from the Kedarkantha Summit
The quite unique thing about the Kedarkantha trek is that from here also the most beautiful mountain range of Himalayas is seen. Which are Swargarohini Peak -I. II.III (6300 meters), Black Peak (6387 meters), Bandarpunch Peak (6300 meters) and all the mountains are seen from here like Rupin pass range, Supin range, Khimloga Peak, Baraadsar Lake range, Vishkhopri range, Ranglana Peak 5800 meters, etc.
From here, the view of all the treks is easily visible from Har Ki Dun Valley and Ruinsara Valley Bali Pass, Borasu Pass, Sarutal, Fachu Kandi Pass Trek. You can view all the treks from a single trek.
Trekkers on the Kedarkantha Summit-3800 m
Best Time to Visit Kedarkantha Trek
Kedarkantha is one such trek which you can do throughout the year, it is more popular especially for winters trek. I believe that these treks are for all those people who consider their second home in the mountain! If you want to spend your time in mountains then it is an opportunity for you .
from Kedarkantha trek you will absolutely get some experiences about life that how local people spend their life in backward areas. you will also get peace and satisfaction which everyone wants.
In the early days of my travel every time I went for a hiking or trekking trip. I have done this trek more than 100 times; no one else knows more about this trek than I know! These treks start from near my village, today it seems like when people take this trek and there is a joy on everyone’s face. These treks are not very easy and not very difficult.
- My personal belief is that people can do this trek from a minimum of 5 years to 60 years.
- But it is necessary to be fit to do this trek
- And you can do this trek in the year; these are the plan for both summer and winter,
- For Winter Trek, I think it is necessary for people from 10 years to 55 years
- This trek will be a relief and joy for the first time visitors. This trek will increase new energy and confidence in you
- You can do Kedarkantha trek in 5 nights and 6 days.
- And if anyone has less time, then people can do this trek in 4 nights 5 days, from Dehradun to Dehradun
The temperature of Kedarkantha varies from month to month; both the temperature of winter and the temperature of summer are favorable.
The view and the environment of the Kedarkantha trek change from time to time. These are all due to nature.
Why Kedarkantha is the Most Popular Winter Trek in Uttarakhand, India?
It is true that Kedarkantha is considered to be the most popular winter trek in Uttarakhand and the world today. Therefore, Kedarkantha trek is the prominent and most popular winter trek in Uttarakhand. It has got unmatched beauty in winters and the trail hides in a thick blanket of snow almost winter. Kedarkantha trek will offer a large number of stunning views like green stretches of land ,fresh flowing water and thick forests .The snow clad mountain tops along with the thick forests make the trip worthwhile.
The lush green forests usually turn white, making it a small Switzerland. As a result, The Kedarkantha trek is not only for experienced trekkers but this trek is also for the amateurs and children’s too. Trekking through the forests you can see adorable sights of traditionally dressed villagers collecting fodder for their cattle. It’s beautiful area to spot various trees like pine ,oak and rhododendron.
The Winter view is a bit different here. There should be snow all around, snow-capped mountains and beautiful river rivulets and birds. Once someone has reached the Sankri market base camp, they have come to another world of mind, Sankri is a small and beautiful market which is famous for shopping among tourists. There are plenty of hotels and home stays that you can spend night in and then continue with your trek. When you see the sunrise and sunset view here, you will see yourself so close to the sky.
Kedarkantha Winter is different fun playing snowman sliding and throwing snow at each other’s equipment and making snowfall is even more enjoyable. Taking beautiful photos in the snow is a memorable moment and winter trek can be the best trek in your life. The best thing is that when snow falls, it is a different sight; most people come to see it.
The Moon from Sankri base camp seems so close that touching it feels possible. And, the sunrise from Sankri is gorgeous because the golden rays of the sun eagerly welcome and wake you up. The day ends, and we don’t even realize – someone said it right that we Kuldeep Ji, you are lucky that you live here. The trekkers told me if the office, airport, everything was here, they would never leave the mountains.
My only answer was – if every facility were here, then the mesmerizing beauty of the mountains would have lost somewhere. The untouched beauty is the thing that provides peace and a spark to know about the hills. We are fortunate and happy to be “Pahadis.”
Come know about the camp of Kedarkantha
The meaning of pond is like a bunch of hair. These are seen in summer when there is no snow here. Winter, I do not see it because the snow is covered with pure The Juda ka Talab is an incredible camp, where there are dense forests and the beautiful Bugyal in the center, so this is considered a camp. Kedarkantha Base Camp is a beautiful Bugyal. From where you can see the starting Kedarkantha Peak, Kedarkantha Base Camp is in an open ground. Kedarkantha Base Camp is a big campsite in this trek, From here you start to see views of the entire Himalayas. It is very nice to spend the night here.
Is it safe trek for me ?
Yes the Kedarkanhta trek is very safe. All our professional strive our best to provide trekkers with the best experience possible.
Kedarkantha Trek is our village’s local trek, which we have been doing for years, here the trek was first done by Himalayan Hikers in 2003 to the children of Woodstock School, Mussoorie, since then it has become very popular here. for winter season,
Kedarkantha is a very beautiful winter trek and an uphill trek in the uttarakhand Himalayas, The Kedarkanhta Trek is great for those people who have a great passion for mountaineering and consider it a special purpose in their life.
Despite the fact that the top is relatively low in elevation, we recommend physical endurance and a strong fitness record. All groups will be guided by our pros for trekking equipment and impending terrain during the course. We strongly urge beginner trekkers to attempt the Kedarkanhta summit due to its modest difficulty.
Kedarkantha Base Campsite PC
When does snow fall start in Kedarkantha trek?
In Kedarkantha trek, especially snow fall time occurs only in December, but sometimes it happens in early November as well, it is seasonal.
Last year 2020 in Kedarkantha trek there was snow fall on 19th November, which is only visible.
By the way, if it rains sometimes even in October, then the Kedarkantha peak becomes snowfall, but I do not know much longer.
The snow that falls from 15th December lasts for a long time.
Kedarkantha has the highest snowfall in the months of January and February, which lasts till the last of May, does not melt easily.
What should you keep in mind for the winter trek to Kedarkantha ?
Kedarkantha trek is as good as it is said, you also need to be prepared., Kedarkantha trek is a moderate trek which starts from Sankri and ends at,
So what are the special things to keep in mind before coming on this trek?
1. In Kedarkantha Trek Winter Trek, you will need warm clothes a lot, for which you will need proper good uniform clothes
2. Winters are always cold, so only warm clothes can keep you safe on kedarkantha trek
3. Always take the information from the company with which you are booking the trek before going on the trek, what do we need to bring
4. In the winter season, the temperature always drops day by day , so warm clothes will help you a lot.
1. Summer trek to Kedarkantha is very special, the view and the temperature are all favorable to you
2. For summer trek, you have to bring only normal clothes, so that your trek can be good, there is no need for hot clothes, but in hiking it is also necessary to bring all the equipment which is necessary for you.
3. It is necessary to have 3 pairs of clothes from trekking, especially the poncho, you will have to bring every season
4. In the summer season, the temperature is always normal, so there is no need for hot clothes.
1. During the monsoon season, it rains occasionally during the Kedarkantha trek, especially in the Uttarakhand Himalayas, so if you have dry clothes here, it is very good, even when wet, it dries quickly.
2. At this time you have to bring at least 4 pairs of clothes, for monsoon trek you do not have to bring too warm clothes, at this time you, hiking pants and t-Sart, I can trek
3. It’s only a little cold in the morning and evening and the day is a good temperature for you
4. Before going on any trek, it will be easy for you to take information related to each season.
5. Trekkers need to know about these, you can ask us anytime like, Trek route, trek map, temperature, weather condition, difficulty level, trek starting point, end point, transport, view of the trek, best time to visit, How to reach kedarkantha, trek distance, Location etc, keep this information before going
The Altittude we are are going to Cover in Kedarkantha
-Altitude – 1920 m
Juda Ka Talab- Altitude -2700 m
Kedarkantha base camp- Altitude -3200 m
Kedarkantha summit- Altitude -3800 m
Hargaon thach- Altitude (2645 m
Key Points of Kedarkantha trek
Duration: 5 Nights 6 Days from Dehradun to Dehradun
Kedarkantha Fee : Rs. 8,000 Per Person including all costs of the trek from Dehradun to Dehradun
Summer Temperature:- Day 5°C to 15°C and Night 2° C to 5° C
Winter Temperature:- Day -2°C to -5° C and Night -5°C to -10°C
Altitude: – 12,500 feet
Kedarkanhta Trek Weather – Kedarkantha is one such trek which can be done throughout the year, Here the weather changes every month, But where the weather is very nice and favorable during the day, the night or morning is also cold according to the time.
Best Time: All year (summer or winter)
Trek Level: Moderate
Trek distance: On foot 23 Km – By taxi 420 km
Group Size: – We will have a minimum group size of 5 people and a maximum of 30 people, if someone has to be private for their group, then you will be given a full date.
Short Itinerary of Kedarkantha Trek
Day 1 – Pick up to you from Dehradun railway station – Drive to Sankri Market – 190 Km (8/9 Hours (1920 Meters) overnight stay Hotel Swargarohini Palace at Sankri
Day 2 – Trek from Sankri to Juda ka Talab (05 km) (4/5 Hours) (2700 Meters) overnight stay Camp
Day 3 – Trek from Juda ka Talab to Kedarkantha base camp trek (3.5 km) (2/3 Hours) (3200 Meters) (overnight stay our camp
Day 4 – Trek from Kedarkantha base camp to Kedarkantha summit (12500 Feet) (3800 Meters back to Hargaon campsite – 9 km) (5/6 Hours) (2645 Meters) overnight stay camp
Day 5 – Trek from Hargaon camp to Sankri base camp – (5.5 km) (4/5 Hours) (1920 Meters) overnight stay Hotel
Day 6 – Drive from Sankri to Dehradun by taxi (190 km)(8/9 Hours)
Note: – Our service will remain from Dehradun to Dehradun – for more details please check includes or excludes
How to Reach Sankri Base Camp?
The journey from Dehradun to the Sankri is beautiful and it is you in Dehradun. The way to Sankri is 190 km and it takes 7-8 hours to reach there, the drive is picturesque because you go through some of the beauteous places.
Also, read about – Sankri – A Small Paradise in the Himalayas, Uttarakashi, Uttarkhand
From Rajpur Road you will go and they will come to Mussoorie which is a hill station and it is known as the “Queen of Hills” it is situated at the foothills of Greater Garhwal ranges and the aura of this place is aesthetic and the environment is soothing so it justifies its title
.After Mussoorie, you will come to Kampitfall. Here you will stop for breakfast. For 45 minutes after breakfast in kampitfall, you will come along the Yamuna River – Purola, here you will stay for lunch for 1 hour. After that, you will be taken straight to the place where our team will be ready to welcome you.
The drive to Sankri (From where the Kedarkantha trek starts) is one of the most picturesque drives in the Himalayas through Dehradun, Mussoorie, Nain bag, Damta , Nawgano , Purola, Mori, Netwar, Sankri along the Rupin Supin or Tons River Kedarkantha trek is one the easiest treks in the Himalayas to enjoy thick snow cover. With this, you will start seeing the beautiful mountain range.
How to reach dehradun for Kedarkanhta trek
- The easiest way to reach Dehradun is by flight, Direct flights are always available for Dehradun from Bangalore, Chennai , Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, Pune, Kolkata, Gujrat, more
- You can also easily reach Dehradun by train Via Delhi . Trains are available from all states India.
Train name is
- Nanda Devi Express -12205 ( New Delhi to Dehradun ) · Classes: 1A,2A,3A ·
- Trains from Dehradun DDN to Howrah Jn HWH DDN SPL 02327)
- Doon Express -13010
- Mussoorie Express -14041 ( Delhi S Rohilla to Dehradun )
- Dehradun Shatabdi Express, 12017
- Himalayan Hikers will arrange transport for you to go from Dehradun to Sankri Base Camp
- Mode of Transport is Tempo travelers and Bolero taxi, Swift taxi, more
- Sankri is our main base Camp office of Kedarkantha trek and Har Ki Dun, Rupin Pass, Bali pass, Borasu pass, Baraadsar lake , more treks
- You can reach Dehradun from Delhi by a bus, board it from (Delhi) ISBT, Kashmiri Gate it is good if you are booking the seats.
(Reach ISBT between 5:30 am to 7:00 am and the vehicle will be arranged from there.)
What is the distance to reach Kedarkantha from other state
- Delhi to dehradun distance by flight -207 Kms) and Dehradun airport to Sankri 217 kms by taxi and (Sankri to Kedarkantha 23 km on foot )
- Delhi to dehradun distance by train 302 kms ) and Dehradun to Sankri 190 kms by taxi and (Sankri to Kedarkantha 23 km on foot )
- Delhi to dehradun distance by bus 249 kms) and Dehradun to Sankri by taxi 190 kms, and (Sankri to Kedarkantha 23 km on foot )
- Bangalore to dehradun distance by air 1924 kms) (By Train – 2371 kms) and Dehradun airport to Sankri 217 km by taxi, and (Sankri to Kedarkantha 23 km on foot )
- Mumbai to dehradun distance by air 1344 kms) (By Train – 1724 kms ) and Dehradun to Sankri 190 km by Taxi and (Sankri to Kedarkantha 23 km on foot )
- kolkata to dehradun distance by air 1518 kms ( By Train – 1694 km) and Dehradun to Sankri 190 km by taxi and (Sankri to Kedarkantha 23 km on foot )
What do we do for safety in Kedarkantha trek?
First of all, the safety of trekkers is much more for us, if you see in the trek, then there are all the risks, which I do not think about.
Himalayan Hikers worry more about you that no one should ever have any problem in the trek.
What should we and you keep more safety in the trek
- Whenever you are going for any trek, it is very important that you go completely fit and ready.
- The trek is not difficult, if you make your feet and your mind calm and strong, you will find the trek very easy.
- While trekking, keep in mind that you are walking on the right route or not always with your guide.
- Most people look somewhere and where they are walking, this can cause twitching in your legs, which can ruin your entire trek.
- It is important to ask your doctor if you have any medical problems
- I should always keep my medical kit with me, it is very important.
- Himalayan Hikers always keep a medical kit with you, such as oxygen cylinders, medicine to be given in emergency on the trek
- If any trekkers have any more problems, then they are brought back to the base camp by laying them in the stretcher.
- Our camp in Kedarkantha trek is around the tree line where you can not have any problem of oxygen
- In case of any medical problem, the help of your guide or a well-informed trekkers should be taken